The wooden evangelical church was written into the List of the UNESCO World Heritage, within the scope of the enlistment of the Wooden Churches of the Slovak part of the Carpathian Mountain Area in 2008.
Wooden Evangelical church is the national cultural treasure. The church comes from the time of religious bondage of Protestants. According to the assembly in Sopron the Protestants could build their churches only out of town walls without solid foundations, from wood, no towers and bells.
The first church dates back to the years 1687-1688. Nowadays building is from the year 1717 and was built in incredibly short time- 3 months in baroque style. The church is sacred to the Holy Trinity.
Protestants from the whole northern Europe financially supported the building. Swedish and Danish kings ordered whip-rounds in their countries to support the building of this church. The whip-rounds took 2, 5 year time.
The surveyor of the church was Juraj Müttermann from Poprad, the artists were the Mayer and Kramer from Levoča. The organ was made by master Vavrinec Čajkovský from Levoča and Martin Korabinský from Spišská Nová Ves completed it. All woodcutting comes from the workroom of Ján Lerch from Kežmarok. There is a baroque altar with the Madonna under the Cross and with the statues of Moses and Aaron on the sides. Pulpit is made on the head of a gold-plated angel and on its façade are four statues of the evangelists. The font is made of sandstone with cupreous lid and comes from the year 1690 from the original old church. The wooden church also called “articular church” offers 1500 places to sit on the ground floor and six choirs.
After the year 1990 got the Evangelical congregation back their property in Kežmarok and started with reconstruction. State and the town shared the costs of reconstruction in the height of 15 000 000.-Sk. 20% of costs brought the Carpathian Germans from Germany, Austria and USA through sponsors. The reconstruction of the organ was sponsored halfway by the government of Germany.